Paddy's Diary

Paddy's Diary

Friday, August 13, 2010

Rui Paula's "DOC"


Took this photo from Rui Paula's restaurant "DOC" the day prior to our departing the Douro Valley. A fabulous restaurant sitting on pylons in the Douro river with spectacular views; we had the privilege of eating in both Rui's restaurants which are located in Armamar and Porto. At the end of the night we sat out on the terrace to drink a tea (couldn't possibly fit any more wine) and it really was a magical experience.

Reminds me of the time Mike McDonnell and I visited Gerard Morin on the final day of their harvest in Sancerre. After an extremely long lunch with the vendangers, and an even longer afternoon in Gerard's private cellar, Mike and I covered well over twice the ground we should have on the walk back to the hotel. After dinner Mike went missing and I later located him having a few beers with the owner of the hotel. Expressing my shock at Mike drinking beer after all the wine we had "tasted", he calmly replied "yeah, I know, but I just couldn't get any more wine into me".

3 comments:

  1. Paddy,

    It's great you went to DOC. I had the pleasure of being treated for lunch there buy a Douro winemaker called Luis Seabra (works with Dirk Niepoort). It was a phenomenal experience - we were given no menus and Rui personally came to our table to meet us and based on his impressions decided what each of us were to eat. We were treated to a wide selection of Portuguese wines (red & white - all wonderful) and an array of ports. The food was incredible (it was my first time trying kid) and very imaginative whilst remaining true to its Portuguese roots. Because this restaurant is so far removed from any big cities, only the lucky few and well-informed ever get to try it, but wow! What a gem! The view coming from the bridge to Pinhao ain't to shabby either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh yes, I remember it well, or not ! Amazing what a few bottles of Sancerre does for the lingustic skills. Instant transformation from Qui et Non, to full discussions on the political and economic situation in France.

    ReplyDelete